Head Start Services
Head Start is a free center-based educational program offered to children ages three to five. A child must turn three by September 1st, complete an application with income documentation, and be accepted into the program to be enrolled.
There are currently seven center-based Head Start classrooms in Pierre and one in Murdo, SD. Head Start classes are held four to five days a week. Parents/guardians who apply for a student spot in Pierre may give a preference for a child to attend the full-day class from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. at our Capitol Avenue location or at the Irwin Street location in the morning from 8:00 a.m. until 11:30 a.m or the afternoon class from 11:45 p.m. until 3:15 p.m.
The Oahe Child Development Center does not operate buses; however, assistance is provided to families in accessing local resources to obtain transportation to program activities if necessary.
Benefits for the Enrolled Head Start Families
- Each class includes a healthy meal and snack
- We provide children with experiences that help them grow mentally, socially, emotionally, and physically
- Each day children participate in circle time, small group activities and both outdoor and indoor physical activities
- In the classroom children choose school-ready activities including art, blocks, table toys, science, books, puzzles, dramatic play, and more
- Parent engagement is encouraged by attending Parent Meetings, serving on a committee, volunteering in the classroom, and weekly in-kind forms
- Head Start works as partners with parents to help their child progress to become school-ready
If you have questions, please contact Hannah Carda at 605-280-8262.
You may fill out the application, save it to your computer, and then upload it. Or you can mail it in or drop it off at 2307 E. Capitol.
Center Based Application
aplicación en español