Head Start Services
Head Start is a free center-based educational program offered to children ages three to five. A child must turn three by September 1st, complete an application with income documentation, and be accepted into the program to be enrolled.
There are currently seven center-based Head Start classrooms. Head Start classes are held four to five days a week. Parents/guardians who apply may give a preference for a child to attend the full-day class from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m., the morning class from 8:00 a.m. until 11:30 a.m or the afternoon class from 12:00 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. The Oahe Child Development Center does not operate buses; however, assistance is provided to families in accessing local resources to obtain transportation to program activities if necessary.
Benefits for the Enrolled Head Start Families
- Each class includes a healthy meal and snack
- We provide children with experiences that help them grow mentally, socially, emotionally, and physically
- Each day children participate in circle time, small group activities and both outdoor and indoor physical activities
- In the classroom children choose school-ready activities including art, blocks, table toys, science, books, puzzles, dramatic play, and more
- Parent engagement is encouraged by attending Parent Meetings, serving on a committee, volunteering in the classroom, and weekly in-kind forms
- Head Start works as partners with parents to help their child progress to become school-ready
If you have questions, please contact Cindy Malsam at 280-8262.
Please fill out the application, save it to your computer, and then submit it below.
Center-Based Program Application