The following are a few examples of testimonials from kindergarten teachers in our district:
I have taught kindergarten at Washington Elementary for the past 25 years. During that time I have had many students that started their educational experience at the Oahe Child Development Center (Head Start).
I feel that this is a wonderful program! The students that enter my classroom from the Center are well prepared to start the kindergarten program in the Pierre School District. These students know their basic skills, how to interact with others and it helps them to be better learners.
The Oahe Child Development Center has worked closely with the Pierre School district and the kindergarten teachers. They strive to make sure that they are teaching the students the skills they need to be ready for kindergarten. They have set up meetings with us to discuss educational issues and concerns.
I feel that without the Head Start program the students would not be well prepared to enter the kindergarten program.
Denise Harford, Kindergarten Teacher
Washington Elementary School
Read more Teachers Testimonials
The following are comments from the 2016-17 parents regarding how our program has impacted their child or their family.
- My child is more attentive and excited to learn.
- High quality education - I couldn't otherwise afford.
- My son is more outgoing with other children. He has developed his speech skills which were right on the edge of needing therapy. He also has a marked development in his motor skills.
- Helping them prepare for school and be successful.
- Teaches us more about family time.
- It gives my child a jump start on education. It also reassures me that my child is on track for his age.
- I love watching my daughter learn and grow and Head Start shows me things I didn't know.
- Head Start let my daughter learn independence and confidence - It has helped us learn where she needs to be developmentally and helps us be more family-involved.